Welcome!

Welcome to chicken feet crossing blog!
Stories of silly old chickens and cool adventures they have had
so......
grab your cup of coffee and laptop and head out to the chicken coop!!!!!

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

One Freezing Morning

One morning, when I went out to the chicken coop to check on the chickens, Sammy wasn't on the nest.  She was playing around on the ground.  In the nest box the egg was ice cold.  



The two broody hens decided to change places.  Sammy stayed in the nesting box and Sunset went into the coop.  The egg was under Sammy.  She had been getting up and playing around a lot.  So I put the egg under Sunset.  Then Sammy didn't seem to be getting up anymore.  So I put it under Sammy.  Then Sammy left it two times cold.  So I put it under Sunset again.  Then Sammy didn't get up for days.  So I put it under Sammy thinking she wouldn't get up anymore.  But she left it ice cold.  I stuck it under Sunset and I'm never putting it back under Sammy.

The egg is supposed to hatch soon, on the 13th, to be exact.  If it hatches it is almost definite to be a rooster because if the temperature fluctuates all the hens die and the roosters survive.  It's happened once to me before.  We were hatching chicks in a hoverbater and we didn't know that the temperature changed so we had about ten chickens hatch.  We gave them to friends and we kept three.  Turns out they were all roosters.  Suzzie was one of them.  I'm kind of glad that that happened because if it didn't we would probably not have Suzzie. 


Coming soon: The Cutting Down Of The Tree 

2 comments: